This mining area is on of the very oldest in France. The operating dates back to the early 12th century when coal was used by farmers.
In 1946 the coal mines were nationalized. With the decline of coal in France in the 1960s, wells closed in turn. With selling the site in 1997, is was also the date of permanent cessation of coal mining in the area. The building itself it a coal preparation plant that washes and prepares the coal for transportation on trains.
The site was been abandoned for almost 18 years but due to the robust way of building, the plant it is very much intact but the place en the ground around is very much polluted.
Visited: 9 september 2015